How to Change Your Mobile Hotspot Password
The Hotspot features on your Android or iPhone devices allow you to take maximum advantage of said devices' connection to the web, by turning your device into a de-facto portable wireless router that shares its connection. Suffice it to say that it is extremely handy for providing the opportunity for operating Wi-Fi-only devices online almost anywhere where you can get a stable signal to your primary device.
Still, as with any Wi-Fi network, it is important to remember that handiness and accessibility should not trump security. While a Wi-Fi hotspot network is usually only temporary, it is still just a Wi-Fi network, and as such, it is exposed to all the potential problems that plague this sort of technology – from random nearby people taking advantage and leeching off your internet to actual malicious attacks on your devices by other, even less well-meaning individuals.
This is why it is highly advisable that whenever a user wishes to use this feature, they protect their own Wi-Fi Hotspot network with a suitable password. iPhone users will be familiar with the fact that each one of their devices comes with a unique Personal Hotspot password that other devices need to connect to it, much like any other password-protected Wi-Fi network. Unfortunately, said password is randomly generated to make it as secure and hard to guess as possible, which in turn makes it clumsy and difficult to use. Android phones also have the option to set up a password for any Hotspot they create. Here are some handy guides on how to set up you Wi-Fi Hotspot password:
How to Change Your Wi-Fi Hotspot Password On Android
- Open the "Settings" app.
- Go to "Network & Internet".
- Choose "Hotspot & tethering".
- Choose "Wi-Fi hotspot".
- Change the switch at the top to "ON".
- While here, you can manage the name of your hotspot, as well as its password, and other relevant details related to its advanced settings – such as automatic shutoff and the AP Band.
How to Change Your iPhone's Personal Hotspot password?
- Go to the "Settings" app and open it.
- Select "Personal Hotspot".
- Tap "Wi-Fi Password".
- Tap the "X" next to the "Password" field to clear the current password.
- Type in your new Wi-Fi Hotspot password. Note that said new password must meet certain minimum requirements - it must be at least 8 characters, and can contain both upper and lowercase letters, numbers and even some punctuation marks.
- Select "Done" in the top right corner of the current menu to finish the job.
What Passwords to use for Your Wi-Fi Hotspot?
Ideally, your Wi-Fi Hotspot should contain the following elements, regardless of the device you are using to create it:
- 8 or more characters.
- Uppercase letters.
- Lowercase letters.
- One or more symbols.
An example of a suitable password looks something like "GoldFishTank225&1".